7 Questions to Ask When Touring Senior Living Apartments
If you’re age 55 or older and considering moving to a more senior-friendly environment, now the fun begins. You get to visit the various retirement communities in your area, tour the premises and see what amenities they offer. But don’t forget to ask plenty of questions. After all, you want your new home to be not only spacious, but also beautiful, convenient, safe, hassle free and amenable to your lifestyle. Here are seven important questions you should ask.
1. Do I Rent or Buy?
Renting a senior living apartment likely is your best option for a variety of reasons, including the following:
- You needn’t worry about a mortgage, closing costs and all the other things involved with buying a home.
- You won’t have to do any exterior maintenance, such as lawn mowing, snow removal, gutter cleaning, painting, etc.
- You won’t be locked in to a long-term investment and can move any time you wish at the end of your yearly lease.
All of our Shelby Park Manor apartments are rentals that are move-in ready.
2. How Much Space Will I Have?
We offer you the following apartment options:
- 1 bedroom, 1 bath – 800 square feet
- 1 bedroom, 1 den, 1 bath – 800 square feet
- 2 bedrooms, 2 baths – 1100 square feet
Each apartment also features a private patio or balcony so you can enjoy the outdoors any time you desire.
3. What Amenities Come With My Apartment?
You’ll love living in your elegant Shelby Park Manor apartment that comes complete with the following:
- Full kitchen with built-in appliances
- Carpeted living room, dining room and bedroom(s)
- Ceramic tiled bathroom(s)
- Beautiful window treatments
- Individually controlled heating and air conditioning
- Cable ready
- Laundry room with in-unit washer and dryer
4. Is This a Safe Area in Which to Live?
At Shelby Park Manor, your safety is our top priority. All of our entrances are therefore secured, and each building contains a safety weather shelter. In addition, our quiet, picturesque location with its forested surroundings and lovely ponds and water features makes you feel like you’re living in the sparsely populated suburbs, even though the Shelby Township police and fire departments are only a short distance away if you need them. We also have three nearby hospitals if you injure yourself or suffer a medical emergency.
5. What Recreational Activities Are Available?
If you enjoy an active lifestyle, Shelby Park Manor is for you. Here you have easy access to miles of hiking and biking trails and Stony Creek Metro Park, only minutes away, offers the following:
- Water park
- Paddle board, canoe and kayak rentals
- Playscapes for your visiting grandchildren
- Golf course
- Nature center
- Weekly summer concert series
Other nearby attractions include:
- Yates Cider Mill
- Chief Gene Shepherd Park
- The Orchards Golf Club
- The Glacier Club Golf
- Cherry Creek Golf Club
- Macomb Center for the Performing Arts
6. Are There Nearby Restaurants and Shopping?
When you choose to live at Shelby Park Manor, the answer to this question is a resounding YES! You’ll be glad to know that Shelby Township has several grocery stores, a Target, a Home Depot, a Kohls and numerous other stores and shops. As for restaurants, what’s your pleasure? Pizza? Burgers? Barbecue? Chinese? Shelby Township has them all and so much more. In addition, we’re only 6-1/2 miles from downtown Rochester with all its fine dining and shopping venues.
7. Is Transportation Available?
For those times when you’d prefer to leave your car in our covered carport and let someone else do the driving, our Shelby Park Manor staff will be glad to help you arrange other convenient transportation.
Asking these and other important questions when touring senior living apartments will ensure that your new home will suit you and be the home of your dreams for many years to come.